domingo, febrero 24, 2008

as guilty as...

And the best Oscar's acceptance speech goes to… Javier Bardem, the sexiest ugly actor on cinema: showing to Penelope and Antonio that is actually possible to speak English properly. The spaniard hunk (excuse my crappy TV slang) spoke about his hideous haircut in No Country for Old Men (que no he visto) and then switched his words to Spanish, honoring his parents and grannie's achievement on the performing arts in moments when working on theater didn't exactly have a good reputation.

Of course you can read all about this in every newspaper or any TV show that comes across, but it was really a surprise that an unknown French actress beat up names such as Blanchett and Christie (the obvious favorites). There's must be some sort of atonement with France 'cause there were lots of french names in several nominations and awards. It seemed like they are the new latinos.

I was really expecting Daniel Day Lewis to walk up and take his award, since we (I mean his fans) have very few opportunities to see him. Even if his performance was kinda topical, he is way more gifted (and more handsome, allow me to say) than his fellow contenders. There Will Be Blood could actually be a Martin Scorcese's movie -in a good way of course- but I missed PTA's style. I guess giving up that in order to tell the story according it's own necesity must be something good, but I still prefer Magnolia or Boogie Nights (by the way, Paul Dano deserved a nomination for his awesome role as a false prophet... como si hubiera de otros).

What's with the Enchanted musicals… couldn't they be more annoying (just as it was to put up all night long with Beyonce 2 years ago)? I liked John Stewart enough, but I think Chris Rock and Whoopi have done it better (the racial and homophobic remarks are still trendy). The worst of all the Oscar presenters has been Ellen Dykegeneres (lame and silly as a lesbian Adal Ramones). I'm waiting to see Tina Fey conducting the ceremony: She's smart, funny and biatchy, something USA needs more than they're willing to accept (hello there, Miss Clinton! - America seems to be afraid of your pussy).

Wait, what about the army propaganda? Now, besides giving you the opportunity of having an education (and a green card if you're Hispanic and lucky enough to survive Iraq), you can add to that the bonus of presenting an Oscar award if you join the army. Priceless!

Every time I watch the Oscar's makes me remember the night I was on a beach house with my partner at the time and a good friend that was hosting us who told me how painful it was for him to watch that crap. He used the word Pain. Not stupid or useless and at the time I wasn't brave enough to ask him for details, but while watching Gwyneth Paltrow winning over Ellen Burstyn and Cate Blanchett I suddenly feel OK about turning off the TV. They never knew that later night I was hidden under my sheets listening -a bajo volumen- to the hysterical speech of an overrated actress that spoiled my own private guilty pleasure that year.

No hay comentarios.: